Diabetes is a common disease that many people now have today and being able to control it can help patients live a more happy life. Diabetes management can be done by taking a look at the different foods that you eat and its portions. The diet for type 2 diabetes advice mostly given by doctors is to avoid foods that are too sweet. This is a vague advice and should be more discussed to help the patient understand what they could eat and what to avoid. To make sure that your blood sugar levels are managed, a combination of eating healthy, physical activity as well as medication should be observed. Here are a few tips on eating habits for diabetics.
- Have a variety of food – When you strict yourself into eating the same food over and over again, there is a tendency for you to become depressed. It is while you are depressed that you are most vulnerable to eat food that you shouldn’t really consume. Try to change the food you eat every day and even try out new foods. You can even try eating sweet foods just make sure you don’t eat too much of it
- Eat mostly fruits and vegetables – These are high in fiber as well as vitamins and minerals that are healthy for you. The natural sweetness in these foods can also help you out with your sweet cravings. Choose vegetables that are non-starchy such as carrots, broccoli, leafy greens and many others. It is also better for you to consume the whole fruit and don’t just juice them.
- Select your carbohydrates – There are many sources of carbohydrates nowadays that can also contain much fiber in them. This includes brown rice, whole-wheat bread, and cereals. They help fill you up without making your blood sugar peak.
- Lessen your salt consumption – Aside from lessening the sugar intake from your diet, you should also lessen the salt. Instead of using salt, add other flavor to your dishes by making use of herbs and spices.
- Don’t skip your meals – Skipping your meals won’t do you any good because it can just cause you to be hungry and unable to focus. When you are hungrier, you tend to eat more the next time you eat. Some choose to eat three times a day while others have two meals and two snacks.
- Give attention to what you eat – While you are eating, you should be focused on the food that you are consuming. This will help you watch what you eat and it also helps you to control eating. Get all distractions such as the TV or the computer away while you eat.
- Keep a record of what you eat – To make sure that you are eating what is advised, you should record your meals so that you can see if you are really meeting the body’s daily requirements as well as not over eating. Most of the time, it would be difficult for you to remember what you consume or just how much you consumed by just thinking about it. Write it down and keep a record.